The Asa Butterfield Acting Masterclass
3 Days of Workshops, Scene Work and a Film Shoot in London
Asa Butterfield has spent his life as an actor and has worked with directors including Martin Scorcese and Tim Burton and actors like Harrison Ford. You’ve probably seen him in movies like The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, Hugo, The Space Between Us, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, Enders Game, Journey’s End and Slaughterhouse Rulez.
Asa currently stars alongside Gillian Anderson in the hit Netflix comedy series Sex Education.
The Asa Butterfield 3-day Acting Masterclass includes:
- A Q&A session with Asa and a panel of industry experts
- Warmup and acting games with Asa
- Improv exercises with Asa and our acting coaches
- Scene work – Asa and the team will select scenes from Asa’s films for you to learn. Each one will be hand-picked to suit you and your acting ability.
- You’ll work on these scenes while working on other acting exercises, with Asa’s guidance and one-on-one support.
- You’ll film these scenes with a professional film crew, directed by Asa
- You’ll have your photo taken with Asa and receive a signed certificate at the completion of the course
- You’ll receive a high-quality copy of all of your scenes, which you can use on your showreel
- You’ll be able to stay in touch with your fellow students and the Reel Scene team after the course in our private WhatsApp group.
Sex Education Season 2 Trailer - Netflix
Testimonials from the 2019 Masterclass
Frequently Asked Questions
We don’t provide accommodation directly, but we can make recommendations, and London has a great metro system that will get you around the city quickly.
We hold the Masterclass in London. Due to the situation with COVID-19, we’ll announce the venue closer to the time.
The course is £1,495. You can secure a place with a deposit of £250. We have many finance options, including a partnership with DeKo (see the link at the top of the page).
No-one can guarantee representation, but the team from RS Talent will be involved in the masterclass and watch your work and be available to discuss representation
Yes! You’ll also be taught by actors such as Steve North (Doctor Who, Holby City), David Schaal (The Inbetweeners, Doctor Who), and other actors depending upon availability.
We try to keep the numbers around 20 – 30 so everyone gets time with Asa and can work with a variety of partners
As well as invaluable experience from a working, renowned actor, you’ll come away with a signed certificate of achievement from Asa, a photo with Asa, footage of your recorded scene, directed by Asa, photos from the weekend, and you’ll be part of The Reel Scene acting community and be able to stay in touch with your fellow students via a private WhatsApp group
Yes, he is a very hands-on tutor. He will answer your questions, take part in the improv sessions and games , discuss your scene assignments with you and direct you personally when filming.
No, we respect Asa’s privacy and we expect our students to behave professionally towards him. Students who behave inappropriately or make Asa or the staff unconfiortable may be asked to leave.
Yes, this is an acting masterclass. You are expected to have acting experience, and we may ask you to provide a showreel or self-tape as part of the application process to help us plan your scene and partners.
Yes, students need to be 16 years old, although we can make exceptions with parent or guardian consent.
The masterclass runs for 3 full days, usually Friday – Sunday.
The masterclass is usually held between September and November. This depends on the availability of Asa (he might be busy shooting the next season of Sex Education) and the situation with COVID-19. We’ll update the website as we know more.